Reporting a Death

To report the death of a KCERA retiree, call the KCERA office at (661) 381-7700. If you are the designated beneficiary of the deceased retiree, a retirement services representative will explain what survivorship benefits, if any, are payable to you. In general, you will need to provide a copy of the following documentation:

  • Retiree’s death certificate
  • Retiree’s marriage certificate (if married)
  • Beneficiary’s birth certificate (if a minor child)
  • Beneficiary’s guardianship papers (if a minor child)
  • Beneficiary’s state-issued photo identification card

KCERA will also send the following forms to the retiree’s designated beneficiary to be completed and returned:

  • Claim for Survivorship Benefit Form
  • Retirement Payment Authorization Form
  • Contact Designation Form

After the required documentation and forms are received, KCERA will notify the designated beneficiary about any survivorship benefits payable.

This site is intended for general purposes only. See disclaimer for terms and usage.
© 2001-2021 Kern County Employees' Retirement Association. All Rights Reserved.